Pasta with Creamy Fennel Sauce
When pureeing fennel one day, I realized its velvety texture would make for a creamy, delicious pasta sauce—without all the guilt. My experiment worked, and now I enjoy this good-for-you pasta sauce all the time. —Deb Schwab, Moraga, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 1 medium potato
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) fresh butternut squash ravioli
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chop enough fennel fronds to measure 1 tablespoon; reserve, discarding the rest of the tops or saving for another use. Core and slice fennel bulbs. Peel and cube potato. Slice shallot; smash garlic cloves and peel.
- Place vegetables, milk and broth in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 25-30 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Stir in reserved cooking liquid, cream cheese, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Process in a blender or food processor until pureed. Return to Dutch oven. Stir in parsley and reserved fennel fronds; keep warm.
- Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain. Toss with sauce. If desired, top with additional Parmesan.
Test Kitchen tips