Pasta with Creamy Fennel Sauce
When pureeing fennel one day, I realized its velvety texture would make for a creamy, delicious pasta sauce—without all the guilt. My experiment worked, and now I enjoy this good-for-you pasta sauce all the time. —Deb Schwab, Moraga, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 1 medium potato
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) fresh butternut squash ravioli
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- Chop enough fennel fronds to measure 1 tablespoon; reserve, discarding the rest of the tops or saving for another use. Core and slice fennel bulbs. Peel and cube potato. Slice shallot; smash garlic cloves and peel.
- Place vegetables, milk and broth in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until tender, 25-30 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid; cool slightly. Stir in reserved cooking liquid, cream cheese, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Process in a blender or food processor until pureed. Return to Dutch oven. Stir in parsley and reserved fennel fronds; keep warm.
- Cook ravioli according to package directions. Drain. Toss with sauce. If desired, top with additional Parmesan.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 309 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Pasta with creamy fennel sauce in Taste of Home April/May 2018