Favorite Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons 2% milk
- Food coloring of your choice, optional
- Colored sugar, edible glitter, nonpareils or frosting of your choice, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2-in. cookie cutters. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, combine butter, sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. Frost cookies; decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 64 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 59mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 30, 2015
I tried the recipe with the ingredients listed, but I felt that I had to add a lot of flour to make the dough easy to work with. The second time I made it, I only added a half a cup of butter and it made the cookies much better. I also decorated them with royal icing rather than frosting.
Dec 21, 2015
Absolutely the worst sugar cookie recipe ever, and I have been baking for 60 years. Went into the garbage, no sugar or almond taste, just nothing but heavy on flour. Yuck.
Dec 19, 2015
I have been baking a slightly different version of these cookies every year at Christmas for about 40 years. The recipe is in a very old Betty Crocker cookbook that I got as a wedding gift - I still have it. Recipe is called Deluxe Sugar Cookies (it also calls for 1 tsp of baking soda & 1 tsp cream of tartar). Dough is very easy to work with - make sure you refrigerate it for at least 2 hours before rolling it out. I use a lower oven temperature (about 365 or 370 degrees). I also turn cookie the sheets about 1/2 through baking. They taste great.
Dec 15, 2015
I have never had good luck with cut out cookies, this recipe turned out fantastic. Not dry and didn't spread out. Will be making these again.
Oct 7, 2015
This one is the best recipe for the celebration.So easy to make ,sure i will try this one.
Feb 13, 2015
This recipe was very easy, the cookies taste great! They were a hit at the Valentine's party :)
Dec 21, 2014
My all time favourite. Very easy to make
Dec 9, 2013
Love these cookies.. The best recipe I have ever found.
Dec 1, 2013
Can't bet sugar cookies
Nov 29, 2013
These are so good! I will never use a different recipe.