- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, casings removed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasonings
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 6 English muffins, split and toasted
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, brown sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add the peppers, onion, mushrooms and seasonings; cook 2 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomato sauce and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Top each muffin half with 2 tablespoons meat sauce; sprinkle with cheese. Broil until cheese melts and filling is hot. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forEnglish Muffin Pizza Joes
"This was easy and versatile. I didn't have sausage so I used 2 lbs ground beef. Because I wasn't using the sausage I felt like I needed to add additional seasoning, I used 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon of fennel seed (to bring out that yummy pizza sauce flavor), 1 tablespoons paprika, 2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. I also added a can of tomato sauce because it was too dry with just the tomato paste. Topped with fresh sliced mozzarella and broiled it was a hit!"
"Great! Even my 1 year old ate a few bites..so in my mind this is a def. winner. I also printed out the Pizza English Muffins recipe at the same time and did incorporate some of that recipe - added a little tomato paste and water as it seemed to need to be more saucy. Also, for the sausage I used ground turkey sausage."