- 1 loaf (1 pound) herb or cheese bakery bread, cubed
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with pepper and onion over medium-high heat until is no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, place mixture over bread. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and mustard; pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats.
- Bake, uncovered, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 30-35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forEasy Breakfast Strata
"I thought this was just okay. I made it almost exactly as written, except used half pound of sausage and half pound of cooked bacon. Used a sourdough Asiago cheese bread. The dish had a good taste to it, but I felt it was a little dry, like there needed to be more egg/milk for the bread to soak up. Seemed like there was too much bread. I also think I should have mixed the sausage/bacon into the bread cubes before putting on the cheese and pouring in the egg/milk."
"This is my go-to breakfast for houseguests staying for holidays. Feeds many, everyone loves it and it's super easy. Reheats well. I've used Mexican blend cheese, cheddar or pepper jack, prefer red pepper to green, and my favorite bread is a rosemary and olive oil crusty loaf sold at my grocery store. It turns out great each time. And, yes, two cups milk to six eggs; not sure what could have gone wrong for Anchatra52 as it's seems so foolproof to me. Also, I've often forgotten to make it until the morning I want to serve it and it still turns out great, just give it some time for the bread to soak up the egg mixture."
"Disgusting mess. It is a waste of good ingredients! 2 cups milk to 6 eggs, really?"
"1 1/2 cups of cubed ham can be used instead of sausage. I also used a Cheddar & Green Chile bread I found at the local grocery store. Prefer for company!"
"substitute the mustard for 1/3 cup of maple syrup! YUM!"
"very quick and very satisfying!!"