Cheesy Hash Brown Egg Casserole with Bacon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in drippings until tender; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and seasonings. Stir in the hash browns, cheese, onion mixture and bacon.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 391 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 357mg cholesterol, 887mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 18g protein.
Oct 9, 2019
Easy to make and perfect to eat!
Aug 18, 2019
Pretty good and my son had three helpings!
Jan 12, 2019
Quick and easy. I used turkey breakfast sausage and it was delicious. I almost fainted when my husband asked for seconds lol ??
May 8, 2018
This casserole is one we turn to often! I make it for an easy weeknight dinner. The only change I make is leaving out the green peppers, but that is just b/c I'm not a big fan - otherwise leave them in!
Jan 31, 2018
My family has been enjoying this recipe ever since it was first published in 1998! Sometimes I substitute cooked sausage or ham for the bacon.
Oct 10, 2016
This got good reviews from the family that I made it for. They are Gluten Free, so it worked out well for that compared to a lot of breakfast casseroles that I make.
Jun 5, 2016
Made this for Mother's Day brunch. Everyone loved it, even my brothers' picky family. I usually leave out the dill. Really, really good and so easy.
May 9, 2016
I always make this when I have brunch and it is always gobbled up. Feel free to any of your vegetables you have - - a good, verisitable egg casserole.
Sep 24, 2015
I make this for Christmas morning every year for those of us that does not care for chocolate gravy and it's alway's a hit!
Jul 27, 2015
I have made something similar to this but used Tex Mex cheese and seasoning salt for more flavor! It was such a hit in our house!