Cheesy Hash Brown Egg Casserole with Bacon
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 2 tablespoons. In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in drippings until tender; remove with a slotted spoon.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk and seasonings. Stir in the hash browns, cheese, onion mixture and bacon.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 391 calories, 28g fat (13g saturated fat), 357mg cholesterol, 887mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 18g protein.
May 8, 2018
This casserole is one we turn to often! I make it for an easy weeknight dinner. The only change I make is leaving out the green peppers, but that is just b/c I'm not a big fan - otherwise leave them in!
Jan 31, 2018
My family has been enjoying this recipe ever since it was first published in 1998! Sometimes I substitute cooked sausage or ham for the bacon.
Oct 10, 2016
This got good reviews from the family that I made it for. They are Gluten Free, so it worked out well for that compared to a lot of breakfast casseroles that I make.
Jun 5, 2016
Made this for Mother's Day brunch. Everyone loved it, even my brothers' picky family. I usually leave out the dill. Really, really good and so easy.
May 9, 2016
I always make this when I have brunch and it is always gobbled up. Feel free to any of your vegetables you have - - a good, verisitable egg casserole.
Sep 24, 2015
I make this for Christmas morning every year for those of us that does not care for chocolate gravy and it's alway's a hit!
Jul 27, 2015
I have made something similar to this but used Tex Mex cheese and seasoning salt for more flavor! It was such a hit in our house!
Jan 29, 2015
I make mine with jimmy dean sausage and add velvetta shreds to the mix. I am not sure about the dill, pretty much whatever you would put in an omelet you can make this casserole with. I also have cooked it over night in the crockpot on low...
Jan 4, 2015
It was ok, I tried to cut the recipe in 1/2, felt it was a little dry, next time I will also add more cheese for flavor
Dec 25, 2014
Made for Christmas morning and we were very disappointed. There was very little flavor except for the dill which just does not go well with eggs..yuck! Hash browns were limp & tasteless.. Would have been better just to make scrambled eggs with crispy hash browns instead. I don't understand the positive ratings for this dish.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.