Down East Blueberry Buckle
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk and melted butter until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- For topping, in a small bowl, mix sugar, flour and cinnamon. Using a fork, stir in softened butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (do not overbake). Cool in pan on a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 354 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 277mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Oct 31, 2019
I am the one who submitted this recipe. I originally got it from my mom. She made it often and it was a favorite. I tweaked it a bit by using either half 'n half or cream in place of milk. That is how I submitted the recipe to Taste of Home. Also I always use real butter. Although fresh blueberries are good I almost always use 2 cups frozen blueberries., rinsed and patted dry with paper towels and add while still frozen. Tip: Do not overbake. Test for doneness after 25 min. Enjoy!
Oct 25, 2019
So good! We like it warm with ice cream!
Oct 1, 2019
This is a fantastic recipe that I have been baking for 20 years. I consider it more of a coffee cake - not quite as moist as a cake. It's very uncanny that the directions and each of the measurements are exactly the same as the recipe I was given by my mother.
May 21, 2018
For diannebdb. Amazing how you are the once who created this recipe as it is exactly the same as theone in my 1976 Betty Crocker cookbook!!
Mar 11, 2018
Very nice coffee cake. I used buttermilk and my fruit of choice was mango. Husband was impressed.
Aug 26, 2017
Easy to put together but i expected it to be more cake-like. My husband thought it was ok though.
Jul 11, 2017
Used whole milk, disappeared way too fast. Will make 2 pans next time!
Oct 23, 2016
Fantastic recipe!!! Very easy to make and was a gone when I took it to work.
Sep 21, 2016
My family really liked this recipe. Goes nicely with a big cup of coffee!
Aug 18, 2016
Husband raved over this recipe. While it was good, it didn't match up to what I get when I travel to Maine. However, not using the tiny sweet Maine blueberries may be the reason. It is a simple and quick recipe to stir up.