Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- Cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the blueberries, sugar, water, lemon zest and juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk quickly; stir until moistened.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto berries (makes six dumplings). Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Do not lift lid while simmering. Spoon dumplings into individual serving bowls; top with sauce. Serve warm with cream or whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 228 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 361mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 30, 2017
We love everything blueberry and this did not disappoint. What a wonderful delicious light dessert. My husband thinks it's better than blueberry pie and I agree. I freeze fresh blueberries and use them all year, and this will definitely be on our menu often!
Jul 25, 2010
What a nice ending to a meal! I used fresh blueberries and even after my husband opened the lid during steaming the dumplings - this was wonderful and the dumplings were soft and light!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.