Blueberry Buckle with Lemon Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes9 servings (1 cup sauce)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk and butter; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Top with blueberries.
- For topping, in a small bowl, combine the sugar, flour and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over blueberries.
- Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and lemon zest; gradually stir in water until smooth. Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and lemon juice. Serve warm with buckle.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 402 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 285mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Feb 11, 2020
Like Judy (who reviewed this recipe July 7, 2018) I used frozen berries and her tip of letting them thaw between paper towels was helpful. This was more like a coffee cake with blueberry and cinnamon crumb topping than a primary fruity dessert. The cake was on the dry side, but still had a very nice flavor. The lemon sauce was easy to prepare, very good, and, to some extent offset the dryness of the cake, so don't leave it out. This probably wouldn't be my recipe of choice if I was looking for a fruit dessert, but it was good enough to serve as a coffee cake for an informal gathering of friends. If I need a lemon sauce for another dessert I might come back to this one since it was so easy to prepare and pretty good.
Jul 22, 2019
Wow this is an amazingly tasty treat! I went out back and picked some blueberries and wanted to make something for our desert tonight. Googled blueberry deserts and found this recipe for blueberry buckle and after dinner we dished it up with vanilla ice cream and the lemon drizzle and we were both very happy with our new blueberry treat. I will definitely be making this recipe again!!
Jul 7, 2018
Was having a friend over for dinner and did not want to make anything too large or complicated. My blueberries were frozen, so put two paper towels on jelly roll pan and let them sit a while. Timed it so cake was done about the time company arrived. After dinner, sliced the cake and put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, then topped it off with the warm lemon sauce. It was delicious. My company really liked it too. Definitely a winner.