Dilled Mushroom Turnovers
My bite-size mushroom pastries are hard to resist. For parties, I prep and freeze them ahead, then pop them in the oven when guests are on the way. —Isabella Michel-Clark, Sparks, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh dill
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir until vegetables are tender, 6-8 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, flour, salt and dill. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut circles with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place about 1 teaspoon filling on one side of each. Brush edges with egg; fold dough over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place on ungreased baking sheets; brush egg over tops. Bake until edges are golden brown, 12-14 minutes.
To Make Ahead: Dough can be made 2 days in advance. Freeze Option: Cover and freeze unbaked turnovers on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until firm. Transfer to resealable plastic freezer bags; return to freezer. To use, bake turnovers as directed, increasing time by 2-3 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 turnover: 87 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Dilled Mushroom Turnovers in Taste of Home December 2015