—Janet Crouch, Three Hills, Alberta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a small saucepan, saute the mushrooms, green pepper and onion in butter until tender. Add the tomato paste, water, oregano and garlic powder. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Cut 3-1/2-in. circles from pie pastry. Place 1 teaspoon filling in the center of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water. Fold each circle in half; seal edges with a fork. Brush the tops with beaten egg. Place the turnovers on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown.
Editor's Note: Turnovers may be frozen, unbaked, for up to 2 months. Before serving, bake at 425° for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 288 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Pizza Turnovers in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook