Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Salsa, optional
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture (dough will be stiff). Turn onto a floured surface; gently knead 10 times. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; reserve 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion and garlic in drippings until tender. Remove from heat; stir in bacon, spinach, cottage cheese and seasonings. Cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut into 3-in. circles; brush edges with egg. Place 1 heaping teaspoon of filling on each circle. Fold over; seal edges. Prick tops with a fork. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with salsa if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 turnover: 103 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2013
I have made these since i was a teen and the recipe was first published. Every time I make them, they get devoured and everyone loves them! Perfect for an easy but impressive appetizer :)
Jan 15, 2011
I havent made these yet, but am planning to soon. I was wondering if I should freeze half after they are baked or when there made but before baking ? They do look delightful. Karla , Ohio
Jul 17, 2008
These were easy and delicious! My friends loved them!