Cumin Quinoa Patties
This easy to make veggie burgers pack an amazing taste and the crunch from the addition of quinoa makes the texture to die for. These quinoa burgers are an easy and delicious vegetarian burger option that you must try. Pan frying them adds a perfect crunch that brings it to the next level. The mixture can be made ahead of time, and it freezes very well. Enjoy!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sour cream, salsa and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, place carrot in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Add beans; process until chopped. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Mix in cooked quinoa, bread crumbs, green onions, egg and seasonings. Shape mixture into eight patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add patties; cook until a thermometer reads 160°, 3-4 minutes on each side, turning carefully. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Nutrition Facts2 patties: 235 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Quinoa Burgers in Simple & Delicious April/May 2019
Apr 20, 2019
As a vegetarian, I am always on the lookout for new menu ideas. Loved this one. I omitted the egg since I am also trying to go vegan. While I loved this, it seemed that it was missing something. Next time I am adding garlic.