Cumin Quinoa Patties
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup canned white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sour cream, salsa and minced fresh cilantro, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add quinoa. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed, 12-15 minutes. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, place carrot in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Add beans; process until chopped. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Mix in cooked quinoa, bread crumbs, green onions, egg and seasonings. Shape mixture into eight patties.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add patties; cook until a thermometer reads 160°, 3-4 minutes on each side, turning carefully. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Nutrition Facts2 patties: 235 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 20, 2019
As a vegetarian, I am always on the lookout for new menu ideas. Loved this one. I omitted the egg since I am also trying to go vegan. While I loved this, it seemed that it was missing something. Next time I am adding garlic.