Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup picante sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- Mix 1 teaspoon cumin, oregano and garlic salt; sprinkle over both sides of chicken. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides.
- In a small bowl, mix picante sauce, water, bouillon and remaining cumin; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 8-12 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°.
- Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Bring sauce to a boil; cook, uncovered, 3-4 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast half with 3 tablespoons sauce: 170 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 377mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 23g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 25, 2017
Been making this recipe for the past 30 years, originally found in a pace picante sauce cookbook. Only difference I make is I usually double the sauce.
Nov 22, 2016
Love this! Cumin is one of my favorite spices and this recipe captures that wonderful flavor in an easy to fix, healthy recipe. We eat this with brown rice and enjoy left overs the next day. There's nothing not to like.
Jan 29, 2016
I like the extra jazzy spice in this recipe, and it was easy to cut down to just two servings. I will make this again, and pass it along to the new bride in my family.
Apr 19, 2008
I make this and black bean&rice and put it into a roll up fantstic its great. I also add extra selsa
Feb 20, 2008
Comment for Cumin Chicken
Feb 15, 2008
Great recipe. Just love it.