Crispy Rice Patties with Vegetables & Eggs
Serve these patties at any time of day. The recipe features protein, grains and vegetables all in one dish. It’s also a great way to use leftover rice. —Megumi Garcia, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 packages (7.4 ounces each) ready-to-serve white sticky rice
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- Minced fresh chives
- Additional pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions; cool slightly. Press a fourth of the rice into a 1/2-cup measuring cup that has been moistened lightly with water; invert onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Fold plastic around rice; shape rice into a 1/2-in.-thick patty. Repeat three times.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook patties until crisp, 3-5 minutes per side; brush tops with soy sauce after turning. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- In same pan, cook and stir vegetables over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Stir in sesame oil, salt and pepper. Add water; reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- In same pan, heat remaining canola oil over medium heat. Break eggs, one at a time, into pan; immediately reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks just begin to thicken, about 5 minutes. To serve, top rice patties with vegetables and eggs. Sprinkle with chives and additional pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 320 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat.
Originally published as Crispy rice patty with egg and vegetables in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.