Crispy Rice Patties with Vegetables & Eggs
Serve these patties at any time of day. The recipe features protein, grains and vegetables all in one dish. It’s also a great way to use leftover rice. —Megumi Garcia, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 packages (7.4 ounces each) ready-to-serve white sticky rice
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cups thinly sliced Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup julienned carrots
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 large eggs
- Minced fresh chives
- Additional pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions; cool slightly. Press a fourth of the rice into a 1/2-cup measuring cup that has been moistened lightly with water; invert onto a large sheet of plastic wrap. Fold plastic around rice; shape rice into a 1/2-in.-thick patty. Repeat three times.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium-high heat. Cook patties until crisp, 3-5 minutes per side; brush tops with soy sauce after turning. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- In same pan, cook and stir vegetables over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Stir in sesame oil, salt and pepper. Add water; reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 1-2 minutes. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- In same pan, heat remaining canola oil over medium heat. Break eggs, one at a time, into pan; immediately reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks just begin to thicken, about 5 minutes. To serve, top rice patties with vegetables and eggs. Sprinkle with chives and additional pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 320 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 186mg cholesterol, 447mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.