Crisp & Spicy Cucumber Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + marinating
- 2 small English cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 serrano or jalapeno pepper, seeded and thinly sliced, optional
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon each salt, garlic powder and pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- Optional toppings: minced fresh cilantro, chopped peanuts and additional sliced green onion
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, mix marinade ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour over vegetables; toss to combine. Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes or overnight.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Top as desired.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup (calculated without toppings): 96 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 1, 2017
This is such a great, fresh side. I love to serve this along side Asian-inspired dishes. I've also found if you let it sit overnight, you don't need the water in the marinade. The vegetables will release enough of their own juices.
Sep 3, 2017
No major changes to this one- I had prepped veggies for another dish, so whatever form they were in, that's how I used them- my red onion was diced, my carrots were matchstick, etc. The title says it all on this one- crisp, spicy. I'll also add light and refreshing. It was a great side to burgers, a perfect summer lunch topped with some grilled chicken.
Sep 19, 2016
Aug 14, 2015
made without the jalepenos but was still too hot for my taste. Otherwise delicious and will make again. love the variety of veggies in this salad. Very colorful presentation.
Oct 1, 2014
Delicious. I served this on individual lettuce leaves. I used Champagne vinegar, and added 2 TBS of sweet chili sauce instead of the soy sauce. I chose chopped peanuts for my topping. Thank you, Alivia, for this tasty recipe.
Mar 12, 2014
Very attractive salad! Cool and crisp taste in spite of the spice! Definitely a keeper.
Mar 2, 2014
Made this for a lunch party and everyone raved about it.
Aug 13, 2013
Very refreshing. Loved the sweet asian inspired dressing. I added some grape tomatoes to it and omitted the onion. Will keep this for next summer's cook outs.
Jul 22, 2013
unique blend of flavors. refreshing and crisp. hint of hotness with cayenne and jalapenos
Jul 21, 2013
Easy, fast and healthy. I made it using my new spiral mandolin and it made the salad much more fun to eat. Excellent & cooling with fresh farmer's market cucumbers. Spicy dressing is a good twist on an old standby. Loved it!