Sweet-Tart Cucumber Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 10 pickling cucumbers or 3 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- Place cucumbers in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt and toss. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, celery seed, pepper and remaining salt until blended. In a large bowl, combine cucumbers and onions. Pour dressing over cucumber mixture; toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 139 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Sep 13, 2017
This recipe is a little to vinegary for my families taste. I added extra sugar and for us it tasted much better.
Apr 18, 2016
I made this refreshing salad to serve with a simple sandwich supper. While I reduced the recipe to about four servings, the salad turned out great!