My husband and I created a delicious okra creole recipe years ago. We use a lot of different kinds of meat and one day decided to try it out with Italian sausage. It was a huge hit! I make a batch on Sunday and we enjoy the leftovers during the week!—Lisa Nelson, Bluffton, South Carolina
Recommended: 26 Healthy Meals in a Bowl
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (17.63 ounces each ) Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 pound uncooked rigatoni
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage, onions, green onions, pepper and garlic; cook 12-15 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into large crumbles. Drain.
- Stir in wine. Bring to a boil; cook 2-3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Stir in tomatoes, okra, tomato sauce, soy sauce, hot sauce and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until okra is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in parsley.
- Meanwhile, cook rigatoni according to package directions; drain. Serve with sausage mixture; sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Creole Sausage Pasta in TasteofHome.com 2017