Creole Green Beans
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- Cook beans according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook bacon, onion and green pepper over medium heat until bacon is crisp and vegetables are tender. Remove with a slotted spoon.
- Stir the flour, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and mustard into the drippings until blended. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Drain beans and add to skillet. Stir in bacon mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 110 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 682mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 25, 2016
Loved the taste of this recipe! I made two modifications 1) left out the tomatoes 2) did not drain the beans since the undrained tomatoes were omitted. Will definitely make again.
Aug 26, 2010
My husband asks for this quite often. It's especially good with fresh green beans out of the garden.
Apr 27, 2009
IF I make this again, I will omit the can of tomatoes. It made the result mushy and didn't look at all like the photo.
Nov 27, 2008