Creamy Dilled Carrots
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing
- 4 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 teaspoons dill weed or 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- In a saucepan, combine carrots, water, butter, salt, sugar and pepper. Cover and simmer until carrots are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain liquid into a small saucepan; set the carrots aside and keep warm. Bring liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour and cream until smooth; slowly add to liquid, stirring constantly. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over the carrots; stir in dill. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 64 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 191mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Sep 16, 2015
I'm cooking for myself, so I prepared this recipe, using just 1 lb. peeled baby carrots, 1-1/2 cups of water, 1 Tbsp. margarine, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 packet Equal sweetener, 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper, 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup 2% milk used instead of the half and half cream! (I'm trying to streamline those calories!) I did use 2 tsp. dill weed! I did combine the salt, pepper, sweetener, carrots, water and margarine together, covered pan and allowed carrots to cook 20 minutes or until FORK-TENDER! I drained the cooking liquid off and set carrots aside; covered them to stay warm. After combining the flour and milk-stirring until smooth, I added it gradually to cooking liquid, stirring constantly. I then simmered the sauce at least 10 minutes, covered, on low heat, stirring occasionally. I admit that I also had added the dill weed to the sauce when preparing sauce for carrots! I sampled these carrots and they were really quite tasty! Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home!delowenstein
Dec 23, 2013
I made these last year for Christmas and everyone loved them, they will appear again this year by popular demand.