Creamy, Cheesy Grits with Curried Poached Egg
I first tried curried poached eggs when I lived in Germany. It was delicious with that rich, runny yolk, and serving it over cheesy grits seemed like the next best move. I'm happy to say my inkling was right. —Shannon Copley, Upper Arlington, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 bacon strips, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking corn grits
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 to 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 4 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- Additional shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons minced chives or parsley
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- In same saucepan over medium heat, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 7 minutes. Add cheeses, salt and pepper; stir well. Cover and remove from heat.
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water, vinegar and curry powder to a boil; adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Break one egg into a small bowl; with a spoon, swirl cooking water in a circle around edge of saucepan. Holding bowl close to surface, slip egg into center of swirling water. Repeat with remaining eggs, adding water if necessary.
- Poach, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, 3-5 minutes. Meanwhile, divide grits evenly among four bowls. Using a slotted spoon, remove eggs from water. Place one on top of each serving of grits; top with chopped bacon and, if desired, additional shredded cheese. Sprinkle with chives or parsley. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 egg and 3/4 cup grits: 316 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 228mg cholesterol, 870mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Creamy, Cheesy Grits with Curried Poached Egg in Taste of Home Feb/Mar 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.