- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Toasted sliced almonds, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine sour cream, sugar, butter and salt. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, 5-10 minutes or until well blended. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sour cream mixture and eggs. Beat until smooth. Gradually stir in flour to form a soft dough (dough will be very soft). Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Divide into fourths. Roll each piece into a 12x8-in. rectangle. In a large bowl, combine filling ingredients until well blended. Spread over each rectangle to within 1 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams and ends to seal. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets. Cut six X's on top of each loaf. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla; drizzle over warm loaves. Sprinkle with almonds if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Reviews forCream Cheese Coffee Cake
"I refrigerated my dough overnight and it didn’t rise. Can anyone tell me what might have went wrong? I haven’t baked it yet, I just rolled them and I’m going to see if they will rise at all this time but I don’t have high hopes. Let me know, thank you!"
"Great and easy recipe. Been making since published in TOH and still the most requested for all breakfasts and holiday gatherings. So good. Thank you for sharing this. Excellent!"
"I refrigerated the dough only an hour instead of overnight, and it still turned out great. I would definitely cut the sugar in half next time, because I added apricot jam with the cream cheese filling and it was VERY sweet. But, having some real fruit flavor was delicious! :-) Also, I omitted the glaze."
"This recipe is very impressive, the finished product is excellent."
"This coffee cake recipe is more work than some...but it's WELL worth every bit of effort! The dough just melts in your mouth! I usually forgo the almonds, and add a little lemon juice to the glaze. Delicious!"
"One of the best coffee cakes I've ever made! I'll be using this recipe over and over again."
"My husband and kids think it's heaven!"
"I've made this coffee cake today and my family absolutely love it! It is so good that we can't stop eating it. I did a little bit of modification though. I used light sour cream for the dough to cut on calories, fat and cholesterol level. In the cream cheese part I only used 1/2 cup of sugar and no salt. We really liked it this way - just perfect amount of sweetness. It is a keeper!"
"Such an awesome recipe! Every time I make it people love it and ask for the recipe."