Italian Cream Cheese Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat until just combined. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Fold one-fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 988 calories, 55g fat (25g saturated fat), 168mg cholesterol, 398mg sodium, 119g carbohydrate (95g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 29, 2015
moist,light and a taste of heaven
Jan 12, 2015
I made this cake for my girlfriends birthday, it was delicious. I can't have nuts but I did sneak a piece for quality control, Everyone loved it, birthday girl took the rest home, next day I wished I had taken a piece for myself, I have a convection oven, so had to watch layers carefully so they didn't overcook, but would I make it again? You bet I would...
Dec 17, 2014
I need a really tall cake....this says to use 3 Nine inch pans....can anyone confirm that this fills three nine inch pans fully, and bakes tall?
Jan 25, 2014
This was delicious! My whole family loved it.
Aug 12, 2013
Yum! I made this for a co-workers birthday. They loved it! Great cake for something different!
Mar 11, 2013
I had previously tried another coconut recipe that i loved but this was was the best!
Aug 27, 2012
I made this for a birthday cake for a friend and everyone loved it. It was a hit and I will absolutely make again for special occasions (as it's pretty naughty in terms of calories... but it's cake and it's delicious and absolutely worth every bite!).
Jan 2, 2012
I made this recipe exactly as it was written and it was exceptionally good. Got good reviews from everyone who ate some at the party. Would definitely make again as it's a standout among Italian Cream Cake recipes.
Jan 13, 2011
really 10 stars =)
Jan 13, 2011
For my husbands and I anniversary we order an Italian Cream Cake for the past 3 yrs & pay quite a bit....I went to a friends house & had this wonderful Cake needless to say I will be making my own from now on!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.