Italian Cream Cheese Cake
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 11 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat until just combined. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites with clean beaters until stiff but not dry. Fold one-fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 736 calories, 41g fat (19g saturated fat), 117mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (75g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Dec 4, 2019
I made this cake for a pot luck and only made one major change. I used a 9x13-inch pan instead of layers. It is an easy cake to prepare but there are several steps. I recommend getting all the ingredients out and measured before starting. Plan on using a bowl and hand mixer plus an electric mixer for this cake. It baked for 38 minutes and was perfect. Definitely a 5-star cake. Volunteer Field Editor
Oct 18, 2019
What kind of butter was used for this recipe
Jan 29, 2015
moist,light and a taste of heaven
Jan 12, 2015
I made this cake for my girlfriends birthday, it was delicious. I can't have nuts but I did sneak a piece for quality control, Everyone loved it, birthday girl took the rest home, next day I wished I had taken a piece for myself, I have a convection oven, so had to watch layers carefully so they didn't overcook, but would I make it again? You bet I would...
Dec 17, 2014
I need a really tall cake....this says to use 3 Nine inch pans....can anyone confirm that this fills three nine inch pans fully, and bakes tall?
Jan 25, 2014
This was delicious! My whole family loved it.
Aug 12, 2013
Yum! I made this for a co-workers birthday. They loved it! Great cake for something different!
Mar 11, 2013
I had previously tried another coconut recipe that i loved but this was was the best!
Aug 27, 2012
I made this for a birthday cake for a friend and everyone loved it. It was a hit and I will absolutely make again for special occasions (as it's pretty naughty in terms of calories... but it's cake and it's delicious and absolutely worth every bite!).
Jan 2, 2012
I made this recipe exactly as it was written and it was exceptionally good. Got good reviews from everyone who ate some at the party. Would definitely make again as it's a standout among Italian Cream Cake recipes.