I was looking for a good desert for Christmas. One that was different than pumpkin and apple pie. I still wanted it to have a holiday feel. This is a great holiday dessert because the colors and taste remind me of the season. —Veronica Gantley, Norfolk, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 6 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Add the cornstarch, vinegar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread into a 9-in. circle on prepared pan, forming a shallow well in the center. Bake at 250° for 45-55 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven and do not open door; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, water and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining confectioners' sugar; beat until soft peaks form.
- Spread whipped cream into center of meringue; top with cranberry sauce. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 254 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cranberry Pavlova in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.