Total TimePrep: 15 min. + standing Bake: 45 min.
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1-1/4 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Sprinkle cornstarch over egg white mixture; fold in. Fold in lemon juice and extract.
- Coat a 14-in. pizza pan with cooking spray. Spoon meringue onto pan, forming a 12-in. heart; build up edges slightly. Bake at 250° for 45-55 minutes or until crisp. Cool on pan on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon over meringue; arrange strawberries over top. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 248 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 34mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Feb 22, 2015
First time to make pavolas. Eye and tastebud appealing appealing. I skipped the strawberries and added chocolate frozen yogart and fresh rasberries for a delightful Valentine's dessert.
Oct 21, 2008
I made this for our company Valentine's Day bakeoff and won!It not only looked good, but it tasted great as well!