Cranberry Pear Relish
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 medium navel orange
- 4 medium pears, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Squeeze juice from the orange; add enough water to measure 1/2 cup. Pour into a saucepan; add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until the cranberries pop and mixture is thickened. Cool. Cover and store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 95 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 0 protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
Oct 23, 2012
This is a great recipe. I had to substitute dry ginger spice but it still turned out great. I plan on making it every year.
Nov 18, 2009
This is one of my traditional items I make for any holiday..I love it because it can be made ahead, it lasts over a week in the refrigerator. It is also great on oatmeal, in yogurt, or with a granola type cereal!!