- 3 large potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- Finely grate potatoes. Drain any liquid. Add eggs, onion, flour, salt and baking powder. In a frying pan, add oil to the depth of 1/8 in.; heat over medium-high (375°).
- Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls in hot oil. Flatten into patties. Fry until golden brown, turning once. Serve immediately. Yield: about 24 pancakes.
Reviews forCountry Potato Pancakes
"I am very glad to see this recipe for Potato Latkes This is a traditional dish served for the Chanukah celebration.Which as most of you know is a Jewish Holiday celebration for the Festival of Lights."
"A good recipe, but here are a couple of hints. I squeeze the shredded potato to get as much starchy water off as possible. Do not use a food processor - it won't get enough of the starch out. When you remove the liquid, note the amount and replace that amount with milk.Separate the eggs and beat the white separately until fluffy. It will make lighter pancakes.I fry in hot Crisco, not in oil. Should be pretty hot so they fry quickly and don't absorb a lot of fat."
"Very tasty, easy to put together."
"VERY Good! I added garlic salt & pepper.Great topped with sour cream!"