Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, julienned
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth or orange juice
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives, quartered
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or basil, or drained and diced pimientos, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, herbes de Provence, salt, garlic and pepper; rub over chicken.
- Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the onion, tomatoes, consomme and vermouth. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Add olives and orange zest. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a serving platter; keep warm. Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken. If desired, sprinkle with parsley, basil or pimientos.
Editor's NoteLook for herbes de Provence in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts3 ounces cooked chicken with 3 tablespoons olive mixture: 287 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 808mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Mar 19, 2019
Kids and dad loved even with the Recipe not being followed exactly.
Mar 12, 2019
This dish was good, but probably not worth making again with all the other recipes out there to be tried.
Jan 23, 2019
It was very good. I browned the chicken first with the rub on, then placed in liquids in Dutch oven for 1 hour. Next time I do not have to cook so long as the chicken fell apart. It tasted great!
Jan 20, 2019
Great recipe! Something different
Jan 16, 2019
Yea, I finally get to use the herbes de provence that has been sitting in my spice rack forever!
Jan 16, 2019
Vermouth or Orange juice?
Nov 17, 2012
i can not express how delicious this is. i could eat it weekly! My husband says this is one of his favorites. the ingrediants aren't things you generally have at home, however it is well worth the trip. i double it and have left overs!! so worth it. there aren't any stars for me to click on but this is definately a five.
Jun 4, 2012
This was very good, even though I could not find any herbes de Provence at my grocery store. I improvised and the recipe worked well.