- 2 cups cornmeal
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in the eggs, milk, oil and onion just until blended. Fold in the corn. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews forCorny Corn Bread
"I knew better...1 c. of oil? Nope, shouldn't have done it. The cornbread was oily from top to bottom. Completely inedible."
"I usually make this to go along with the Heartwarming chili (also here on TOH). With a large family, I'm glad it makes a lot. It is very moist & really yummy and we just love the corn baked right into it."