- 3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels, halved
- 1 cup apple cider, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Press half of the mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Layer half of each of the following: apples, caramels and remaining oat mixture. Repeat layers. Drizzle 1/2 cup cider over top.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Drizzle with remaining cider; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until apples are tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forContest-Winning Caramel Apple Crisp
"More like an apple oatmeal. I used caramel sheets broken up, leftover from a caramel apple kit. Flavor was good, but yes dry & sweet. If I tried this again I would use less dry ingredients and add caramel sauce when it was finished baking."
"I used Marzetti old fashioned caramel dip, so it didn't get hard. I also doubled the ACV per others advise. I think it would be much better with less oatmeal."
"Fantastic!! Even those in the family who don't like crisp won't stop eating it!"
"It needed an extra 1/2 cup of cider to keep it from being dry. I also added 1 can (14 oz) of fried apples to the mixture. (you could also add apple pie filling here also if you can't find fried apples) I believe that also added to the moisture of the crisp."
"Here, we like our pies and crisps to be jucy. Not dry. If I had looked this over I would have seen it was going to come out dry. Maybe in another area this won a prize, but not with my husband."
"I am sorry but I can not see how this recipe won any prize. I threw the entire crisp out. The apples were dry in fact the entire crisp was so dry that even ice cream and extra caramel drizzle did not help."
"I made this recipe for a work function. Everyone who tried it loved it. I got numerous compliments. It was easy to make, and quite tasty. The most difficult part was unwrapping the caramels. I added additional caramels on top, in the future may drizzle with carmel ice cream sauce."
"Oooey Gooey goodness! YUM! I used Macintosh apples and they cooked perfectly!"
"This was good. I did leave out the caramels though because neither one of us like them. Also cut the recipe in half since there is only two of us. It's good warmed up!"
"Awesome ! Could cut in 1/2 for smaller version."