The whole gang will munch these "top dogs" up in a jiffy. "Mom and I make them for get-togethers," tells Donna Sternthal of Sharpsville, Pennsylvania. "Leftovers are no problem—there never are any!"—Donna Sternthal, Sharpsville, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 45 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 24 hot dogs, cooked
- 24 hot dog buns
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on hot dogs; sprinkle with cheese if desired.
Originally published as Coney Dogs in Crafting Traditions May/June 1996