Puppy Dog Cake
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + standing Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 chocolate-covered peppermint candies
- 1 piece shoestring black licorice (4 inches)
- 1 red fruit Roll-up
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the semisweet chocolate; stir until smooth. Stir in corn syrup just until mixture is well blended, forms a ball and is no longer shiny. Turn onto an 8-in. square of waxed paper. Press chocolate mixture into a 7-in. square. Let mixture stand at room temperature until dry to the touch, about 2 hours.
- Let separated eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave white chocolate with water at 30% power until chocolate is melted; cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, vanilla and white chocolate mixture. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into white chocolate mixture with coconut and pecans.
- Fill four greased muffin cups half full with batter. Spoon remaining batter into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake cupcakes at 350° for 15 minutes and cakes for 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter. Add the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla. Set aside 1 teaspoon for decorating.
- Roll out chocolate mixture on waxed paper to 1/8-in. thickness. Using a sharp knife, cut out two 4x2-in. ears; round one end of each. Cut out two 1-1/4-in. circles for eyes, two 1-in. long strips for eyebrows and one 5-in.heart for muzzle; set aside.
- To assemble, place one cake on a large platter or covered board (about 14x11 in.). Cut off cupcake tops; cut a 1/4-in. piece from a rounded edge from each cupcake and discard. Place cut side of two cupcakes against side of cake with edges touching; frost top of cake and cupcakes. Top with remaining cake and cupcakes; frost top and sides.
- Place ears opposite the cupcakes, inserting the flat ends into side of cake 1/4 in. from top. Fold ears over the top of cake. Position eyes, eyebrows, and muzzle as shown in photo.
- Place a small amount of reserved frosting on the back of each mint; insert two for eyes and two for nose. Place licorice on the muzzle as shown. With scissors, cut fruit roll-up into a 4-in. strip and round one end; place straight and under muzzle for tongue.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 829 calories, 43g fat (23g saturated fat), 154mg cholesterol, 469mg sodium, 106g carbohydrate (78g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Jul 5, 2011
looks more like a cow than a dog LOL
Oct 17, 2010
This is a very cute and pretty easy cake to create. If you want to save even more time, I would just use a simple boxed cake or a more simple scratch cake. I got confused a couple of times on the directions of how to bake the cake. But the actual look of the cake was so cute and my 3, 5, and 7 year olds loved it. The cake, made as directed, tasted really great and moist too.
Mar 16, 2009
this is very cute!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.