Puppy Dog Pancakes
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes4 puppy dog pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 2 drops strawberry syrup
- 8 semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk and butter. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Place 2/3 cup of batter in a small bowl; stir in chocolate syrup. Place 1 teaspoon of batter in another bowl; stir in strawberry syrup.
- For puppy ears, pour eight 1 tablespoonfuls of chocolate batter onto a lightly greased large hot griddle. For muzzle and eyes, spoon eight 1 teaspoonfuls and eight 1/4 teaspoonfuls of chocolate batter onto the griddle. For tongues, spoon four 1/8 teaspoonfuls of pink batter onto the griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes; cook until the second side is golden brown. Repeat for plain pancakes, pouring batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle.
- To assemble, arrange ears, eyes, muzzle and tongue on plain pancakes; top eyes with chocolate chips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 224 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Puppy Dog Pancakes in Your Family Premiere 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.