Puppy Dog Pancakes
—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes4 puppy dog pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
- 2 drops strawberry syrup
- 8 semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another large bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk and butter. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened. Place 2/3 cup of batter in a small bowl; stir in chocolate syrup. Place 1 teaspoon of batter in another bowl; stir in strawberry syrup.
- For puppy ears, pour eight 1 tablespoonfuls of chocolate batter onto a lightly greased large hot griddle. For muzzle and eyes, spoon eight 1 teaspoonfuls and eight 1/4 teaspoonfuls of chocolate batter onto the griddle. For tongues, spoon four 1/8 teaspoonfuls of pink batter onto the griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes; cook until the second side is golden brown. Repeat for plain pancakes, pouring batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle.
- To assemble, arrange ears, eyes, muzzle and tongue on plain pancakes; top eyes with chocolate chips.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 224 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 483mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Puppy Dog Pancakes in Your Family Premiere 2003