Beefy Dog Treats
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cooked long grain rice
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 jar (4 ounces) vegetable beef dinner baby food
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In another small bowl, dissolve bouillon in boiling water. In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, milk powder, wheat flour, rice and gelatin. Stir in the baby food, egg, oil, yeast mixture and bouillon mixture until combined; knead until mixture forms a ball.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. bone-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 18-25 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool. Let stand for 24 hours or until hardened. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 treat: 66 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 18, 2017
My 3 bullies love these! I used oat instead of wheat flour, and rolled the dough out thicker. And also made larger sized shapes, since they're bigger dogs. I had to adjust the cooing time an extra 10 minutes, but this is a great recipe!
Dec 30, 2012
I couldn't find beef and veggie baby food so I went with chicken and veggie and switched the bouillon to chicken. I gave it a 4 star as the mixture was to dry and I felt that it was missing some more water. Dog seem to love it so I might try it again now that I know to add water yet I have found other receipts that seem easier
Nov 15, 2012
I make these for my dogs all the time! They are very sensitive and scratch all the time from other treats. They love these and don't scratch at all! Sometimes I add peanut butter.
Aug 16, 2011
I have been making these treats since Dec. 2007 and all 8 Pups, in the family love these! (even the picky eaters). I recently moved and haven't been able to locate this issue, so thank you TOH for keeping this recipe in your file!!
Jan 3, 2011
We have 11 dogs and I made these dog treats for them for Christmas and they loved them. I have given some to my friends' dogs along with the recipe and I am sure that my friends will be making them also.
Jan 10, 2010
My Schnauzers love these treats! Have made these twice and will definitely make again. Even my sister's picky Lab ate them.
Feb 4, 2008
My Louie dog can be picky. He LOVES these treats. I am recommending this recipe to all my friends.