Coney Island Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, mustard and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Grill or cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place hot dogs in buns; top with sauce.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 571 calories, 40 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 1,636 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Nov 20, 2017
This is one of the best coney sauces I've ever tried! My whole family loved this recipe! I omitted the celery. Instead I topped the coney sauce with shredded sharp cheese and ladled it over hot dogs.
Aug 17, 2017
As delicious as what the root beer stands has to offer. I did make a some changes in the recipe and was surprisingly good. One change I made was due to not having any lemon juice so I substituted white vinegar instead. The other change was actually a mistake and it was when I doubled the recipe and I doubled the 15 oz can of tomato sauce instead of the doubling the recipe's amount of an 8 oz can. Fortunately, the sauce cooked down to a nice consistency and thickened after being refrigerated. Will be making this again in the future and with my serendipitous mistake.
May 10, 2014
Very good! Made a quadruple batch for a meeting.....one batch doesn't make much at all!
Mar 24, 2012
I thought this tasted really good on my hot dog. I will keep this recipe and make it again.
Nov 13, 2011
I made this for a baked potato buffet fundraiser, they licked the pot clean and asked for more! Just enough spice to keep everyone happy.
Oct 1, 2011
I wondered about the celery, but this was the best hot dog chili I've eaten.
Aug 4, 2010