Coney Island Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2-1/4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns, split
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, onion and celery over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, mustard and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Grill or cook hot dogs according to package directions. Place hot dogs in buns; top with sauce.
Nutrition FactsNutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 571 calories, 40 g fat (16 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 1,636 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Nov 20, 2017
This is one of the best coney sauces I've ever tried! My whole family loved this recipe! I omitted the celery. Instead I topped the coney sauce with shredded sharp cheese and ladled it over hot dogs.
Aug 17, 2017
As delicious as what the root beer stands has to offer. I did make a some changes in the recipe and was surprisingly good. One change I made was due to not having any lemon juice so I substituted white vinegar instead. The other change was actually a mistake and it was when I doubled the recipe and I doubled the 15 oz can of tomato sauce instead of the doubling the recipe's amount of an 8 oz can. Fortunately, the sauce cooked down to a nice consistency and thickened after being refrigerated. Will be making this again in the future and with my serendipitous mistake.
May 10, 2014
Very good! Made a quadruple batch for a meeting.....one batch doesn't make much at all!
Mar 24, 2012
I thought this tasted really good on my hot dog. I will keep this recipe and make it again.
Nov 13, 2011
I made this for a baked potato buffet fundraiser, they licked the pot clean and asked for more! Just enough spice to keep everyone happy.
Oct 1, 2011
I wondered about the celery, but this was the best hot dog chili I've eaten.
Aug 4, 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.