Old-Fashioned Coney Hot Dog Sauce
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium-high heat. In a Dutch oven, cook beef over campfire 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Move Dutch oven to indirect heat. Cook, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Freeze option: Freeze cooled meat mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 103 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 355mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 7, 2018
You may enjoy this but it has nothing to do with Coney Island is a neighbor. This has nothing to do with C.I.
May 17, 2018
Very good. I will admit I took the other reviewer’s advice and didn’t add the salt.
Jul 5, 2015
Everyone loved it but I thought it was too salty. Next time I'll omit the salt and use celery seed instead of celery salt to see if that helps. I also had about 1 1/2lbs of ground beef and didn't need to increase the sauce, plenty of flavor.