Company’s Coming Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small heavy skillet, cook and stir the sugar over medium-low heat until melted. Stir in almonds; cook for 1 minute or until lightly browned. Spread onto foil coated with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the mixed greens, romaine, oranges, celery and onions. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients. Drizzle over salad; add almonds and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 134 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 98mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Nov 19, 2017
We love this salad with a little juicy sweetness from the orange, and the crunch of the almonds. I like to serve this one with a citrus marinade pork tenderloin, ham, and chicken recipes.
Jan 7, 2016
This was a terrific salad, my son ate a big bowl without complaining. the sugared almonds and oranges helped. i just used a regular orange without the membrane, rather than using canned mandarines. the dressing was a nice complement.
Apr 21, 2010
This salad was exceptional, the flavour of the cider vinegar and canola oil blended well. I would definitely make it again. I added a few tiny tomatoes.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.