Company’s Coming Soup
This soup is great for entertaining because it can be assembled ahead and left to simmer. Plus, with fresh bread and salad. It's a hearty meal that won't leave anyone hungry.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + standing Cook: 1 hour 35 min.
Makes10-12 servings (3 quarts)
- 1 pound 10-bean mix (about 2 cups)
- 8 cups water
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place beans and enough water to cover in a Dutch oven or soup kettle. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain beans and discard liquid. Return beans to kettle; add the water, ham, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-70 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until onion is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 147 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 19mg cholesterol, 1369mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 14g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Company's Coming soup in Country Pork
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.