Company Chicken Madeira
The sauce for this chicken is simply sensational. It is packed with great herb and vegetable flavor. The leeks, fennel and portobello mushrooms make it feel elegant, but it's very easy to make.—Jamie Miller, Maple Grove, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (5 ounces each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 3/4 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Madeira wine
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- Preheat oven to 400°. Combine thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper and coriander; rub over chicken. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons butter 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In same skillet, saute leeks and chopped fennel in remaining butter 4-6 minutes or until just tender. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes longer or until mushrooms are tender.
- Add flour; cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add wine and simmer 2 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over chicken and sprinkle with cheeses.
- Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 165°. Sprinkle with fennel fronds.
Make Ahead:Assemble casserole up to 1 day in advance. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes in a preheated oven.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast with 1/3 cup sauce: 359 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 813mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 37g protein.
Oct 11, 2018
OMG can't say enough about how good this recipe is - hardest part was all the chopping but once that is done it is so easy. And i used all fresh spices from the garden and that always makes me happy.