Cinnamon Coffee Bars
"I've made these bars for more than 40 years, and they're still a favorite," writes Marylou Crouch from Granite Falls, Washington. The recipe makes a small pan, so the two of you can enjoy a few and have some left to share.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup hot strong brewed coffee
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 teaspoons whole milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and coffee. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Spread into a well-greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve a desired consistency. Drizzle over warm bars. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 307 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 175mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cinnamon Coffee Bars in Quick Cooking May/June 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.