Honey Cinnamon Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- Additional toasted chopped walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, honey and egg until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in 1 cup walnuts.
- Spread into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake until golden brown (edges will puff up), 10-12 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, mayonnaise, vanilla and enough water to reach desired consistency; spread over top. If desired, sprinkle with additional walnuts. Let stand until set. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 bar (calculated without additional walnuts): 138 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2018
The batter was to hard to mix up. They tasted good just to thin. Don't think I would make them again.
Oct 1, 2017
Love this recipe. i make for the Jewish holiday of Rosh Hashanah when we serve things made with honey for a sweet new year. great fit. Have made for potlucks and church evnents and easy to cute into bars. i like the texture and the glaze is a fantastic topping!
Nov 7, 2016
Made exactly by the recipe. I'm sorry but I'll not be making this again. As written, the batter is too tight and after baking the bars were gritty from the undissolved sugar.
Oct 26, 2016
Nice honey taste and the surprising mayo glaze was perfect! I used blanched, slivered almonds instead of walnuts because that's what I had on hand. Everyone loved these bars!
Nov 7, 2015
Loved these taste so good that kids want every week did not use canola oil instead used coconut oil .
Nov 6, 2015
My favorite part of this recipe was the mayo glaze. I often think powder sugar icing is too sweet...I never thought to cut the sweetness with mayo!
Oct 29, 2015
we added applesauce instead of the canola oil & chopped pecans - we didn't do the icing... we used a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top after baking - turned out really good!
Oct 15, 2015
These were excellent. They look exactly like the photo and taste sweet and flavorful. I immediately reheated my second cup of coffee and enjoyed two. My three year old even liked them.I ran out of canola oil, so substituted partial coconut oil. I also used Vegenaise instead of mayo in the icing. I don't think this impacted the recipe in any significant way.
Sep 6, 2015
I made these bars today. They taste pretty much like canola oil and are very bland. I made the icing with powdered sugar and mayonnaise and it tasted so bad I had to throw it out. I made a simple powdered sugar milk recipe instead. If I made it again, I'd use applesauce instead of all that canola oil.
Aug 19, 2015
Made this yesterday, it tastes like a Kringle, very good, the only thing that I changed was the mayo glaze, I opted for sugar, milk and corn syrup, the mayo one was a bit tart. but all in all a very good recipe