I came up with this chunky homemade ketchup to jazz up chopped steak sandwiches and hot sausage sandwiches for my family. I gave some to our friends, too, and they enjoyed it on hamburgers and stuffed peppers. It's fresh-tasting and delicious.—Susan Stahr, Driftwood, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/2 hours
- 4 cups chopped seeded peeled tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, onion, green pepper, sugar, tomato paste and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Stir in vinegar; heat through. Cool to room temperature; store up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.