Chunky Cherry & Peach Preserves
Out of all the jams I make, this is my grandmother’s favorite. She anxiously waits for late June to come because she knows I’ll put up as many batches as I can while peaches and cherries are at their peak. —Amy Seiger, McLoud, Oklahoma
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Process: 10 min.
- 4 cups chopped peeled fresh peaches (about 7 medium)
- 4 cups chopped pitted fresh tart cherries (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine peaches, cherries and lemon juice; stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in extract.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into seven hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.