As a child I helped my grandmother can summer fruits and vegetables. I didn't always appreciate this activity when I was young, but now I miss her terribly and wish we could have another summer afternoon in her kitchen. I think she would enjoy this recipe. —Katie Ferrier Gage, Houston, Texas
Total TimePrep: 1 hour Process: 10 min.
- 4 cups chopped peeled fresh peaches (about 4 large)
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a Dutch oven, combine peaches, sugar, blueberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 45-55 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Ladle hot mixture into 4 hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.