Cherry Nut Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 6 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed and cut into quarters
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 milk chocolate candy bar (7 ounces), chopped
- In a large saucepan, heat cream over medium heat until bubbles form around sides of saucepan; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved.
- Whisk a small amount of the cream into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook over low heat until mixture is just thick enough to coat a metal spoon and a thermometer reads at least 160°, stirring constantly. Do not allow to boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Cool quickly by placing bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in extract. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) In each batch stir cherries, coconut, almonds and chocolate into the ice cream just until combined. Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 682 calories, 57g fat (34g saturated fat), 220mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 1, 2012
Loved it! This recipe have a wonderful layering of flavors and texture. I used 2 tsp of almond and 1 tsp of vanilla. My husband has a simple palate so when I make it for him I just use the base and add cherries. I freeze in 1 cup freezer containers and its single serve.
Jun 20, 2008
This recipe is HEAVENLY! I substituted smoked/salted almonds (chopped) and it still tasted great!