My mom and grandma have been making this fruity syrup to serve with fluffy waffles and pancakes ever since I was a little girl. Now I make it for my sons, who love it as much as me!—Sandra Harrington, Nipomo, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen pitted dark sweet cherries, thawed
- 1 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Dash ground cinnamon
- Bring cherries and water to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Add sugar and butter; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in extract and cinnamon.
- Cool leftovers; transfer to airtight containers. Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 100 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Cherry Syrup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.