Chinese Chicken Salad
Here's a cool, easy entree perfect for steamy summer days! You can do most of the preparation for this dish ahead of time and just mix it together before serving. The crispy lettuce and wonton skins keep this dish light, while the chicken and dressing give it wonderful flavor. —Shirley Smith, Yorba Linda, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 6 ounces wonton wrappers, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 4 green onions with tops, sliced
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon monosodium glutamate, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Deep-fry wonton strips in oil until brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels; set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, gently combine the chicken, lettuce, green onions and sesame seeds. In a small bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients. Just before serving, add fried wonton skins to salad; pour dressing over and toss to coat.
Editor's Note: For faster preparation, a can of chow mein noodles can be substituted for the wonton skins.
Nov 10, 2017
I have made this many times, and it is a favorite. Did not use MSG and used chinese noodles instead of wonton. It turned out great.
Sep 28, 2009
would be good with a poppy seed dressing