Chicken Veggie Packets
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 1 cup pearl onions
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Flatten chicken breasts to 1/2-in. thickness; place each on a piece of heavy-duty foil (about 12-in. square). Layer the mushrooms, carrots, onions and red pepper over chicken; sprinkle with pepper, thyme and salt if desired.
- Fold foil around chicken and vegetables and seal tightly. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 175 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 100mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 20, 2018
This is a bit dull! I have a better recipe my Mom made years ago. We call it, ‘Chicken in the Garden’. You use a 40” piece of foil for each person, fold it over. Put 2 or 3 pieces of chicken just off center of foil.Then put on top of chicken whole mushrooms, cubed potato’s, red onions, cut up in small triangles, cut up tomatoes, a few green pepper slices, and some cut up zucchini. Put 2 tsp of Worcester sauce over all, dot with butter, and 2 Tbl. instant rice. Also add salt and pepper to your taste. Fold foil over, seal well so that juices don’t run out. Bake at 450 degrees on a cookie sheet for 1 1/2 hours, turning over every 20min. It’s a lot of food, but good leftovers! You don’t have to add all those vegetables if you don’t want, go by your own taste!
Nov 11, 2017
Sounds as if it might be low carb for a diabetic but no nutrient info provided on this recipe -- unusual for TOH! Can you provide?
Nov 9, 2017
I make these packets on the grill in the summer. I use marinaded chicken breasts, baby reds, onions, carrots, peppers and a couple of ice cubes for added moisture. Easy peasy clean-up!
Aug 10, 2017
My family and I loved this recipe! The chicken was so moist, juicy, and flavorful. Changes I made: used sliced yellow onions instead of pearl and no carrots. Next time I am going to try dark meat as well.
Jan 13, 2015
Very surprised at the high ratings...sorry!
Feb 19, 2013
I've been making this since the recipe came out in 1999...I can't believe I never rated it!! You can substitute chopped onion for the pearl onions, I do it all the time, I also don't add the thyme since it's not a seasoning I'm fond of. You definitely can't go wrong making this recipe...sooo yummy and it's fantastic with rice!! =)
Jan 23, 2010
My whole family loves this recipe! It is easy to fix with purchasing pre-sliced mushrooms, and baby carrots. If I don't have pearl onions on hand, I substitute chopped sweet onion. My 8 year old daughter likes to help me fix the packets as well.