Chicken & Spanish Cauliflower “Rice”
I learned about the paleo diet from some friends who now have tons of energy and are super fit. Since then, I’ve changed my eating habits, too. Everyone from my dad to my little nephew loves this riced cauliflower. —Megan Schmoldt, Westminster, Colorado
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Core and cut cauliflower into 1-in. pieces. In batches, pulse cauliflower in a food processor until it resembles rice (do not overprocess).
- Toss chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute chicken until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add green pepper, onion and garlic; cook and stir 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato juice and cumin; bring to a boil. Add cauliflower; cook, covered, over medium heat until cauliflower is tender, 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 227 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 492mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Chicken and Spanish Cauliflower "Rice" in Simple & Delicious April/May 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.