Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min.
Makes40-45 servings (2 pom-poms each)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
- 16 cups cooked long grain rice
- 12 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 8 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 10 jars (12 ounces each) chicken gravy
- In a large Dutch oven, saute celery and onion in butter until tender. Combine the flour, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper; stir into vegetable mixture until blended. Gradually stir in broth until blended. Add the milk powder and bouillon. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until very thick. Cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Stir the rice, chicken and cheese into the sauce mixture. Combine breadcrumbs and paprika in a shallow baking pan. Shape 1/4 cupfuls of chicken mixture into 2-in. balls; roll in crumb mixture.
- Place 3 in. apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Bake 400° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and golden brown. Heat the gravy; serve with pom-poms.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 325 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 67mg cholesterol, 677mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 16, 2013
Every time I've made these they sort of melt in the oven.They come out flat & not like a ball at all. I have refrigerated them then baked them & still no luck Can someone give me tips on what I can do to fix this?
Nov 24, 2010
Awesome! Will make again, and again!
Dec 10, 2007