Chicken Salad Puffs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- CREAM PUFFS:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by six rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- For filling, in a large bowl, combine the chicken, celery and olives. In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; stir into chicken mixture. Fill puffs just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 323 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 137mg cholesterol, 338mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Feb 12, 2017
This rating is for the chicken salad only - I made the salad and put it on some toast for a quick lunch. I thought it had a nice taste, but definitely needed some tomatoes or lettuce. I also found myself putting some extra mayo and a little Dijon mustard on the toast to keep it from getting too dry. Overall, I'd make this again, but with some minor tweaks.
Mar 20, 2011
I originally found this recipe in my first copy of Taste of Home magazine that I received in 1994. I have been using it ever since. When my children were small, I had to speed up meal prep, so I did substitute croissants for the puffs, but the puffs are delicious. I have always made 4X the recipe because they always disappeared so fast!
Dec 22, 2010
Love to make these chicken salad puffs, they are always a big hit and I love the taste of the eggy puff.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.